Victims can obtain legal permanent residence through various laws. When they do, the Citizenship and Immigration Service provides them a “green card” as an identification document to prove they can live and work in the United States permanently.  The green card works as a work permit, too.

The-most-underused-way-to-get-a-green-cardUnder the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), a spouse, parent or child of a legal permanent resident or U.S. citizen who is subject to extreme cruelty or is battered may file a self-petition to become a Lawful Permanent Resident. Witnesses are not a requirement! Hospitalization is not a requirement! Blandon Law staff has handled VAWA cases many years and can explain to the government how what you suffered can be considered extreme cruelty. We will look at the following areas to help you win the green card: threats, intimidation, emotional abuse, isolation, blaming, using children, harming pets, economic abuse, and being treated like a servant.

VAWA is a way to obtain a green card at any point of a foreigner’s journey in the United States.  It does not matter whether the foreigner entered without authorization.  It does not matter how long the foreigner has been in the United States.  It does not matter if the foreigner is being deported in Immigration Court.

In some cases, a victim facing an Immigration Judge may also be eligible for residency by applying for cancellation of removal. The abuser must be a spouse or parent who is or was a citizen or legal permanent resident. The parent of a child who was victimized can also become a resident through cancellation.