The Blandon Law team provides comprehensive assistance during every step of the process for our clients. This is economical because we work on a flat fee basis.  More consultations will not cost more. For those who want specific assistance on a matter, however, we provide the following:

Attorney Representation at Interview

The basic function of an attorney is to advocate on behalf of a client. In other words, the lawyer will represent a foreign national in the manner that is best for the success of the case. This is best accomplished when the attorney accompanies a foreign national to an interview with the Citizenship and Immigration Service, to hearings at Immigration Court, or during oral arguments before the Federal Court.

At a marriage interview, for example, an attorney can argue that proving a valid marriage does not mean that the couple can not be separated. Because this is an argument based on an interpretation of the law, only a licensed lawyer can make it. Generally speaking, only attorneys licensed by their state bar associations are permitted to represent foreign nationals. Translators and notaries are not allowed to represent foreign nationals in this way. Before hiring a consultant to handle an immigration matter, confirm that the person will be able to represent the foreign national at the interview or hearing.

Blandon Law makes every effort to smoothen the process of becoming a Legal Permanent Resident or a U.S. citizen. If your case is before the immigration authorities, contact Blandon Law to see how we can make your goals a reality.

Travel Documents

Foreign nationals sometimes fail to apply for proper travel authorization. During the time that adjustment of status applications are in process, the foreign national may travel abroad. However, if the foreign national leaves without travel authorization, the Citizenship and Immigration Service (CIS) assumes that the foreign national has abandoned her application. In turn, CIS will deny the file as abandoned. Blandon Law helps foreign nationals avoid common travel mistakes. These include not applying for the travel authorization and failing to recognize when she should apply for Emergency Travel Permission.

Blandon Law prepares evidence to demonstrate to the Citizenship and Immigration Service that a Travel Document is needed sooner rather than later. Because regular travel permission may take anywhere from ninety days to six months to obtain, BLandon Law will request expedited service if emergency travel permission is needed.

Liaison with Third Parties

In order to assist clients with the preparation of evidence relating to their case, Blandon Law serves as liaison with third parties. We can assist foreign nationals obtain translations of documents from Spanish to English. This includes simple documents such as birth and marriage certificates all the way through complicated matters such as organizational documents of large corporations.

Blandon Law also serves as liaison with evaluation companies, which provide information to Citizenship and Immigration Service documenting that the foreign degree is equivalent to a degree from a university in the United States. Another evaluation that Blandon Law helps to obtain is equivalency of a university degree based on a foreign national’s work experience.

Also, if the Citizenship and Immigration Service requests evidence that an offered position is the kind of job that requires a bachelor’s degree (for H-1B visas) or qualifies for an executive or managerial title (for L visas and EB-1 residency), Blandon Law can assist in obtaining those expert opinion letters as well.

Because clients sometimes require expertise on a variety of subjects, Blandon Law refers them to a vast network of knowledgeable professionals. These include accountants, tax attorneys, wealth management consultants, estate attorneys, insurance professionals, real estate professionals, criminal defense attorneys, family law attorneys and mental health specialists.

Post-Residency Matters

Legal permanent residence is not permanent in the sense that it cannot be taken away. A foreigner can abandon U.S. residency by returning to live abroad, by remaining outside of the country for too long or by specifically relinquishing citizenship in the presence of a consular officer.

The Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) takes the position that a foreigner definitely abandons residency if they remain abroad for over one year. There are exceptions to this general rule for persons who work for the armed forces, who work for certain U.S. companies or research institutions, and for their spouses and children.

Importantly, a person may lose her LPR status by remaining abroad even less than one year if CIS can prove that the foreigner had the intention of abandoning it. In one case, a Venezuelan national was placed in removal proceedings because she did not know this. She was stopped at a U.S. airport by an enforcement officer. In response to “Why are you coming to the U.S.?” she told the officer that she was visiting her son. He asked her to write that statement and she did. A few months later, she was notified that she had to appear before an immigration judge. The judge ruled that the legal permanent resident abandoned her status and ordered her removed; a resident does not “visit” her home. Afterwards, Blandon Law was able to arrange for her to obtain residency again. Her U.S. citizen son petitioned on her behalf.

Blandon Law also helps Legal Permanent Residents with the following:

– Reentry permits,
– Green card renewal,
– Proof of the legal resident status of children born abroad, and
– Petitions for family members, when available.

Review of Documents from Prior Counsel

In order to properly represent a foreign national, Blandon Law conducts thorough review of all documents previously submitted to Citizenship and Immigration Service, theImmigration Court, and the Board of Immigration Appeals. This includes obtaining documents submitted by another immigration lawyer on behalf of the client.

When a foreign national does not have access to her own records, Blandon Law requests documents from the other professional or makes a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. Although the FOIA takes a considerable amount of time (approximately six months), this time is well invested to avoid inconsistencies in future legal arguments and applications.

In addition, Blandon Law also conducts a review of the file of the proceedings at Immigration Court. This includes reviewing both the order of the Immigration Judge and the audio tapes of all hearings.

Armed with the information that can be obtained from a FOIA and a review of the proceedings, Blandon Law can best defend foreign nationals against charges of removability. In one case, for example, the parents of a Colombian girl were deported, but it was learned from a review of the proceedings that the child herself was never ordered removed. This information was of great value in applying for the foreigner’s asylum, legal permanent residency, and eventual citizenship in the United States.

In this and other ways, Blandon Law may be of help to a foreign national who does know where to begin. Please contact (954) 385-0157 for a consultation relating to your own personal circumstances.

Preparation of Evidence, Including Affidavits

Besides representing a foreign national at an interview or a hearing, the greatest service that Blandon Law can provide to a client is preparing evidence and affidavits. Different kinds of cases require different types of evidence. However, in any case, the secret of success is providing the government authorities with information that clearly demonstrates that the foreign national is entitled to the benefit based on the existing law.

Blandon Law helps employers to present evidence including:

  • Company information and financials

  • Contracts, sales and purchase receipts

  • Budget projections

  • Documentation in support of the company’s ability to pay the offered wage

  • A detailed job description with a suggestion as to the offered wage

For employees, Blandon Law assists in the preparation of the foreign national’s resume, documents relating to proving current immigration status, as well as employment verification letters from prior employers.

In family-based cases, Blandon Law assists with the preparation of the affidavits of support, affidavits of support of joint sponsors, supporting documentation, documents in support of good moral character, and evidence relating to the validity of marital relationships.

Driver’s Licenses

Driver’s licenses are issued by the state, and each individual state has its own requirements. Some offer driving privileges to unauthorized immigrants, while others may require proof of authorized presence in the United States.

In many cases, you can receive a driver’s license while your immigration case is being processed. Asylum applicants, those with approved VAWA cases or those under an Order of supervision are just a few examples of individuals who can obtain licenses. At Blandon Law, we have the nationwide expertise to get you on the road as soon as possible.